Did you know this about the Fridge?
So late at night when you get hungry and are just looking to satisfy your cravings and are about raid the refrigerator. Do you stand there looking and wondering what is best for you in the middle of the night? Or do you just go with what will appease?
Well let me give you a couple of things to think about, even though I am sure it will not be in the middle of the night when you are just trying to appease that craving.
Did you know that refrigerating certain foods actually cause these food to spoil faster because you did?
I am gonna hit you will 7 food that you should never put in the refrigerator!!!
1. Bananas - Did you know that storing bananas in the fridge actually disrupts the ripening process? In fact, once they are refrigerated, a banana may never be able to resume the ripening process even if you take it out and it goes back to room temperature. Poor banana, lost its potential lol.
2. Sweet Potatoes - Did you know that when exposed to cold temps, starches found in potatoes will actually turn to sugar, disrupting their flavor and even texture, not to mention increasing their sugar content!!! If you prefer tasteless potatoes that cause weight gain, however, go for it.
3. Tomatoes - Have you ever had a really amazing tomato right out of the fridge? LOL Me either, ok i have never had an amazing tomato lol, yuck. Tomatoes actually lose their flavor and become mushy when in the fridge. That's just nasty.
4. Apples - Same as above, apples actually loose their texture and flavor when refrigerated. Instead, place an apple in the fridge for about 30 minutes before eating if you prefer them cold.
5. Onions - If you love soggy onions while also causing the rest of your food to taste and smell like onions, then you'll definitely want to refrigerate your onions immediately. Otherwise, try storing them in a paper bag (within a cool, dark cabinet) for maximum shelf life.
6. Avocados - Much like bananas, refrigeration shuts down an avocado's ripening enzymes. If you want guacamole next month, this may be OK, but if you're like most people, you probably want guacamole today.
7. Coffee - Contrary to popular belief, coffee is best stored at room temperature to allow the natural oils within the coffee bean to activate its pungent aromatic scent. But on the flip side, refrigeration can actually cause coffee to absorb odors from other foods in your fridge like baking soda. Onion flavored coffee anyone? lol don's make the same mistake twice.
So a little tid bit into nutrition. Hope this was helpful